Monday, October 17, 2016

If there's no one beside when your soul embarks

One of my favorite dates happened sometime in 2011. We took the 2 or the 3 to the Brooklyn Museum stop, ignoring the drizzle, to see a Death Cab for Cutie concert at the museum. We got there early and walked to a spot where he said we might grab a quick bite, but it was dark inside and closed, so we had to scurry somewhere else. The concert in the museum was a rare outing for us - I dislike live music but have a teen-angsty love/appreciation for Death Cab; he didn't know the band that well but had heard of the event and thought I'd like it (this was before he clearly understood how much I dislike standing in a dark crowd, staring at a stage of people blasting loud noises).

I remember the concert happened in one of the larger halls within the museum - a rotunda inside of a square room. The backlighting and strobes played fluorescent indigo, fuchsia, and white on the blank walls - I remember looking around and seeing all the paintings and statues had been removed or pushed back against the walls. The band started playing and sounded good, not as mind-shatteringly loud because of the space and height of the ceilings. I was happy to recognize a majority of the songs played. I remember staring at an older white couple swaying, her standing in front of him with hands clasped around each other's waists. The woman was crying ugly tears of wet mascara when they played I Will Follow You Into The Dark. I understood why the song was sad and why it might make her cry, but i was amazed she could cry like this in public. I wondered if she really loved the song and how it made her feel or if she felt the lyrics about the dude she was standing with.